Will Insurance Cover Property Damages Caused by Looting?

As waves of frustration, sadness, and anger sweep across the country, some individuals have taken part in peaceful protests while others have participated in looting and riots. In these times of extreme tensions, those closest to these violent acts are fearing damage to their businesses, homes, or vehicles.

Fortunately, insurance coverage may apply to those who have had their property damaged as a result of riots and vandalism.

Every insurance policy is different from the next. To learn more about your rights and your own policy, speak with our vandalism claims attorneys for free.

How Your Insurance Coverage Applies

In most cases, homeowners, auto, and business insurance will cover physical damages caused by vandalism or riots. This includes coverage for possessions stolen from a home, business, or vehicle—which would include looting.

As always, the specific coverage will be determined by what exactly is included in your premium and written on your policy.

Damage to Vehicles

Under your auto insurance policy, your car damage is covered by optional comprehensive coverage if the damage is caused by something other than a collision, including:

  • Vandalism

  • Theft

  • Fires

  • Floods

  • Falling objects

If you have this type of coverage, your insurance will pay for damages such as dents, broken windows, damaged tires, and others.

Damage to Homes

Unless there is a specific exclusion under your policy, most homeowners insurance policies cover physical damage to houses, garages, and other structures on your property. It also includes coverage for losses related to theft from your home or from your vehicle.

If you must leave your home while repairs are being made and have coverage for additional living expenses (ALE), you can also claim benefits for the costs of hotels, meals, and other related expenses.

Damage to Businesses

Damages resulting from riots and vandalism are not typically excluded from business insurance policies, meaning that businesses will most likely be able to file claims for property damage to their storefronts or for stolen goods.

Additionally, if your business is forced to suspend operations due to physical damage, including vandalism, you may be able to file a business income, or business interruption, claim as well.

Helping You File a Claim

Immediately following the discovery of vandalism or other property damage, it’s incredibly important that you:

  • Call the police and file a police report

  • Inform your insurance company regarding the incident

  • Make a detailed list of everything stolen or vandalized

  • Gather documentation to support the stolen or vandalized items on your list

  • Take photos of the crime scene

  • Do not attempt to clean up your property to preserve evidence

We understand that these are extremely difficult and sensitive times for everyone. Having your property damaged or destroyed when you didn’t do anything wrong can have an emotional impact. Please know that we are here to help you in any way that we can.

If your property was damaged, Strems Law Firm is here to evaluate the scope of your insurance policy and determine whether property damage insurance applies. We are dedicated to helping you recover the insurance benefits you need and rightfully deserve.

Contact Strems Law Firm at (786) 661-3111 for help filing an insurance claim.


Contact Us Today

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.